Change is healthy for growth and development, as many seek to diversify and acquire new prospects. However, it’s never graceful and creates doubts, especially when there is no fallback plan. Shifting from an established website or domain is challenging for owners who have invested time, years and funds to create a perfect domain name. The pain is always on the SEO ranking and efforts made in getting to the top. SEO is a significant pillar that helps optimize a website for a higher ranking on search engines. Users seeking website visibility need proper strategies to protect vital information.
Purchasing a new domain name is easier for starters but extremely confusing for existing owners. Website migration comes with a lot of data protection, search engine optimization requirements, and creating awareness of the changes. The process distorts the digital footprint as it decreases site visits. However, through tech advancement, tech giants like Google provide smooth migration pathways to help maintain the SEO hosting rankings. One can protect the website by utilizing various strategies when migrating.
Factors to consider before changing your domain name/website
Website migration has various attached factors that users need to understand. A list of website ranking SEO benchmarks and building steps should be prioritised before changing to a new website. One can incorporate advanced tools like the Webmaster tool to acquire correct information.
How many pages are indexed in Google
Conduct a site command on the search engine to avail the indexed pages. Enter the site on Google search to access the number of pages attached to your domain within the index.
Get the current XML sitemap.
Use Google Webmaster tools to download your sitemap to get the types of URLS provided. The process allows the user to avail existing URLs and how to set up the redirect when the URLs change.
The loading speed is a crucial aspect that should be tested before shifting or updating the website. The user can utilize the Google PageSpeed insight tools to check the loading speed on mobile and desktop. The speed helps the user to compare the current speed and what to expect in the coming site.
Assess the SEO Audit
SEO Audit helps the user determine the current website’s strengths and weaknesses. The information guides website holders to upgrade or maintain various features when migrating. It’s a great way to shed off unnecessary baggage during migration.
Proceed and complete the migration
One can proceed and complete the migration process to acquire a new domain. However, the new website also requires some checks to certain its capabilities.
Consideration after completing the migration process
Check header response
This helps avail any flawed links, temporary redirects and internal server errors. It’s a simple way to fix any technical problems.
Title tags and Meta description
The website user should view whether the title tags are well formatted or have any issues before settling for the new changes.
Eliminating internal duplicated analysis
One can check for internal duplicated data details using the canonical tag app.
Get a new XML Sitemap.
Get an XML Sitemap to help avail a new URL structure. Use the Google Webmaster to help in acquiring page indexes.
Reasons for changing Domain name
Various reasons compel website owners to change or update their domain names. The changes can be mitigated by positive or negative issues as follows:
- Suppose the domain name has been highlighted by an internet watchdog. Switching to the new domain name is the best and wise option.
- If customers get a better domain name which works better than the current domain name. If the site registration isn’t renewed, it can lead to changes.
- An individual can change through choice based on their particular reasons.
Steps to migrate
- First, copy the existing website details to the new domain. To achieve this, the user can incorporate automated plugins for an easy migration process.
- Next, redirect the current website to your new site.
- Proceed and request Google to modify the domain name. The website user needs to inform Google about the changes. Google has advanced tools that ease the process without losing the SEO rankings.
- After redirecting and copying the information, submit a new sitemap.
- Check the Google search console for any emerging issues.
- Next, update incoming links as active. Ensure to activate the old links to the new domain name.
- Update your website and visitors/users on the migration. The process will be gradual before they earn about the new domain. However, one can write an article about the changes or design a 404 error page.
- Monitor the website regularly for easy modification, and enter a feedback channel to learn from your web users.
How to achieve SEO grooming for your website
There is massive competition in the SEO ranking field. Website owners must understand SEO grooming art to thrive and beat the competition.
A website’s significance is released by the number of visitors viewing it. The site should be fast and visible to all visitors. One can improve the usability through the following tips:
- Use text browsers to examine your website and know what the search engines require and see.
- Install the robots.txt facility on your server to help direct crawlers on directories to crawl and not to crawl.
- Use the website on a different browser to see different responses, such as visibility, loading speed and issues.
Website navigation and choice of content
The navigation factor should be easy and accessible to all users. For fast navigation, the user should have the following:
- A proper link structure: all pages should have a link for easy directing.
- Sitemap: a sitemap directs users to find what they need on your website and shows the search engine the website details.
- Overall linking: each page should have 100 links
- The website should have quality information.
- Ensure all links are okay and correct the HTML.
- Use text instead of images for details like headings, addresses, links, etc.
Insist on quality
To thrive, emphasize quality through the following tips:
- Have quality content.
- Check on the links to get genuine links.
- Don’t manipulate the search engines; get important information usable on the site.
Though website migration seems tedious, it’s easy to conduct with the correct procedure. The secret lies in backing up the information before shifting the details. The advanced systems and tips help in completing the process without much effort.