Whom I Wanna Be: Tips for Students Who Want to Start Working
Nowadays, it is not easy to figure out how to choose a profession that will bring good earnings until retirement. Technology is firmly in our midst, some professions are disappearing, others are being transformed. In addition, it’s not always clear which business or occupation is truly satisfying so you can navigate that inner beacon.
To begin with, it is important to realize that you are not alone in your quest. A huge, just gigantic number of people every day are trying to figure out what field they should go to work in. By the way, sometimes it’s hard to compare work and study so you can use excel homework help, for example, and save some time to rest.
So a guide to finding the profession of your life awaits you. With this information, you’ll be able to set aside everything superfluous and see the things that are most important to you in regards to a job to start taking concrete steps in its direction.
The top questions to ask when choosing a profession
What criteria are important to you when choosing a job? Everyone’s criteria are different. For one person the salary comes first, for another it is a convenient schedule, for a third one, there must be a chance to move quickly in their career. Make a list of criteria and, based on it, choose a profession.
What kind of activities do you prefer? Activities can be individual or group. Some people want to work alone, relying only on themselves, while others prefer to work in a group of like-minded people. While you are still a student, you will know which option is better for you.
You should also answer the questions:
- Do you prefer mental work or physical work?
- Will you have to communicate a lot with your colleagues and partners during your working hours?
- What function will you have: performer or organizer?
What kind of approach to work is expected of you: strict fulfillment of duties or possible creativity?
Once you have the answers, it will be much easier to decide on a profession, as many professions simply do not fit your criteria.
For example, A person dreams of becoming a teacher but does not want to spend hours every day talking to people. Or wants to work in a bank, but did not take into account that you will have to work in a large team and follow the instructions of superiors.
What format of work are you interested in? Today there is a lot of workarounds, and it is different. To earn, you don’t have to sit in the office all day. So, the income can bring:
- Working in a company.
- Opening your own business.
A person who chooses a profession should clearly understand how he wants to work. If he prefers freelancing, then being a chef, for example, he will not succeed, but he can open an online culinary school.
Do you know what you are choosing from and how many other unknown options there are? Usually, teenagers choose their specialty based on a small list of professions that they know well. But you can’t make a decision knowing only 10 professions. Before you make your choice, it is advisable to explore all the possible options, you can find a lot of information on the Internet and learn about such modern types of activities that you have never heard of, and which will suit you.
What are the duties of a representative of the profession you are interested in? Often guys watch movies and read books and find the perfect job for themselves there. But movies can present only one aspect of a profession. For example, in a TV series about a genius doctor, he is constantly solving riddles, and making a diagnosis looks like a fascinating business, but in reality, there are real people behind it, and every misfire costs human life. Not so appealing, is it?
You have to be clear about what you have to do: I’ll go out to work and…
In almost every profession there is a lot of paperwork that children have no idea about. The teacher, in their mind, has done the lessons and gone home. But what about checking notebooks with homework, making a plan for the next lesson, preparing for it, picking up materials for tests, and monthly reports, and other documentation? You need to find out about all of this in advance.
Do you have the opportunity to “plunge” into a profession of interest now? Of course, at age 15 you can’t get a full-time job and work. But there are still different options for getting to know a profession. If you want to become a chef, you can attend various masterclasses that are held in cafes and restaurants. Dreaming of working remotely without tying yourself to an office and any city, you can take various free marathons, choosing what you like, because there are many professions in freelancing, too.
Are there any jobs available in your area of interest? If so, great. If not, you do not have many options:
- Consider another line of work in your area.
- Prepare to move to a place where there are places available.
Now there are many professions in which you can work remotely without having to move from your hometown. But at the initial stage, the job seeker is rarely given this opportunity.
The formula for choosing a profession according to one’s needs and money
The career choice formula consists of three elements: want, can, and must. What does each mean?
“I want” are your desires and interests. Desire is the most important aspect of choosing a profession. Do not try to please your loved ones, listen to yourself. The chosen specialty will be your companion perhaps for life. There is little good in working for many years at a job that you don’t like. Cannot decide? Then you need to answer the following two questions (there can be no more than 3 answers).
First question: with whom / what would you like to do?
- people (students, customers, clients, passengers, spectators, etc.)
- information (texts, tables, graphs, drawings, formulas, diagrams, programming languages);
- finance (money, deposits, interest, credits, shares, funds, etc.)
- technology (various devices and mechanisms, production machines, machines);
- art (literature, music, dance, theater, cinema, painting, arts and crafts, etc.)
- animals (their treatment, study, breeding, use in professional activities);
- plants (agriculture, gardening, orchard, greenhouse, etc.)
- food products (food production, cooking, confectionery, etc.)
- products (sewing of clothes, footwear, bags; production of jewelry, stone, wood, and metal items; production of cosmetics and medicines);
- natural resources (mineral deposits, forests, mountains, rivers, and lakes).
Second question: what kind of activity is the most interesting for you?
- management (directing the activities of others);
- service (to satisfy a customer’s needs);
- education (to bring up and teach children and adults to learn some skills);
- health care (to prevent and treat illnesses)
- creativity (creating works of art, performing on stage, conducting creative master classes, etc.)
- production (making some products);
- design (design and creation of separate subjects, parts, elements, and models);
- research (the scientific study of any objects, phenomena, and aspects);
- protection (protection of someone or something from hostile actions).
“Can” is your capabilities and abilities. You need to understand what you are good at, your strengths, advantages, personal qualities, whether there are any limitations related to your health condition. The better you know your capabilities, the easier it is to choose favor of a particular profession.
“Necessity” – the demand for a profession on the labor market.
It is not always possible to guess whether the chosen specialty will be in demand in 6 years of study. It is necessary to study the opinions of experts on the topic of staff relevance, to analyze the demand for representatives of the profession.