In the era of the rapid development of IT technologies, it is extremely important to pay increased attention to the Vulnerability database, as this allows you to ensure the security of the system in time, which is especially important when working through open network channels on the Internet. The databases identify the vulnerability, and then describe and systematize it, which allows the developers of intelligent platforms to create updated encryption and security keys. Below is a detailed description of the structure of vulnerability databases, as well as the rules for working with them.
What are the types of Vulnerability databases?
Considering that the first Vulnerability databases were created back in 1973, since then this global cybersecurity platform has been constantly evolving, and today programmers from all over the world use the following types of information storage data:
- ISS X-Force is the most popular database.
- Symantec/Security Focus BID is a proprietary product.
- OSVDB is an open-source database.
- NVD is a national cybersecurity intelligence product.
- MITER is the most up-to-date and improved to date database that describes all remote vulnerabilities.
Each of the described databases offers users an extremely accurate classification of possible vulnerabilities, and all these platform data together contain and describe more than 120,000 risks.
What are Vulnerability databases for?
Databases describing computer vulnerabilities and other risks are the most important sources of information for IT professionals working in the field of security. This global intelligence product is required to achieve the following goals:
- Collection of information about new computer risks.
- Analysis and classification, assigning a code name to each type of vulnerability.
- Issuing recommendations for IT companies and developers of security systems.
- Warning corporate PC users about possible risks and negative consequences in case of neglect of the rules.
- As a result of the creation, analysis, systematization, and updating of databases, hackers can no longer quickly get into the system, as software developers install powerful digital shields with the multi-stage encoding of information. Over time, as hackers find new paths and risks, database developers also have time to discover the vulnerability and update their list.
Thus, Vulnerability databases are one of the main means of informing developers about the need to develop or upgrade systems for protecting against computer vulnerabilities, which can completely prevent or reduce the risks of serious cyber-attacks.
On what factors is the system of correct assessment of computer vulnerability based?
An objective and complete assessment of the vulnerability of the system, as well as a risk assessment, includes the performance of work by the following three parameters and stages:
- Basic. A general analysis of possible risks, namely the ease of infiltrating the system, cracking passwords, encryption codes, or security keys. Determining the level of confidentiality of private information, as well as assessing the expected consequences if a system is hacked by hackers to steal or destroy data stored on server sources.
- Temporary. One of the most important ways to assess vulnerability is when, at the current time or the stage of the last diagnosis, all possible risks have been prevented and eliminated, but after a certain time interval, new risks of cyber-attacks are possible. As a rule, the period is estimated purely individually, depending on the degree of responsibility of the system, the volume, and importance of the stored information, or on the complexity of its processing, as well as the severity of the consequences, if they are deleted.
- Based on environmental change. This vulnerability assessment and analysis is largely determined by specific enterprises, government, or administrative structures. In the case of a global modernization of computer software, virtual systems, or artificial intelligence, as well as when upgrading these systems, periodic diagnostics of possible new risks is required, which, most often, leads to the need to replenish Vulnerability databases and develop new security modules.
Thus, the main goal of creating Vulnerability databases is not only the identification and publication of potential or obvious risks, but also the need to periodically monitor them and determine their changes, weakening, and the emergence of new dangers for prompt action.
What are the main types of computer vulnerabilities?
When creating a Vulnerability database, developers take into account the following basic types of risks and dangers for computer systems:
- First of all, the evaluation and identification of errors during the initial deployment. This parameter requires the most careful check, since, on a general examination, the program may work normally, but in fact, failures are found in it.
- SQL injection – these third-party useful virus modules are embedded in the general program code, as they work as indicators, detecting malware, as well as possible vulnerabilities in the software or on the server storage.
- Mistakes and human factors were made when setting up the main databases. It should be noted that this parameter is one of the most dangerous for programs and IT specialists. Many databases tend to be chock-full of information, and whether it’s systematized or randomly scattered, it takes a long time to identify risks to diagnose each cluster. It is these complexities that cybercriminals often use when carrying out cyberattacks.
- An incorrect audit was carried out earlier. This risk also refers to the human factor, since, when testing software, specialists may also make mistakes or fail to see potential vulnerabilities. This is because most of these audits are carried out by template methods, using standard algorithms. In such cases, the most correct solution would be to re-test the system in detail with the involvement of new independent specialists.
Strong protection against risks and vulnerabilities is essential for software in every large enterprise, which reduces the possibility of attacks from competitors, and also increases the independence and profitability of any enterprise, provides a quick return on investment, and allows you to be one step ahead of the competition. The Vulnerability databases described above help to deal with such problems and solve them as quickly as possible. When analyzing databases, which take into account all the vulnerabilities known today, each specialized IT specialist gets the opportunity to repel hacker attacks, as well as install the necessary security parameters to protect external and internal storage with important data.