The Definitive Guide To Develop Effective B2B Buyer Persona
Businesses that sell to people without knowing who they are selling to are at a greater risk of loss because they can never find out what went wrong in their strategy.
It has been rightly said that “you must market your business to somebody rather than anybody!”.
Buyer persona is an understanding of your ideal customer so that you can better market to and sell to them.
In the words of Seth Godin, “ An ideal customer is the one who wants your products, who has the ability to pay for the product and who has the authority to purchase your product.”
Every successful business is a master of lead generation and lead nurturing. The basic starting point of every lead generation campaign is the creation of effective buyer persona.
This guide will share all the basic and advanced methods to create impressive B2B buyer persona to boost your marketing strategy.
Why You Need Buyer Persona?
Here are some important reasons why buyer personas are extremely crucial to your business strategy.
- Buyer personas help you to capture actionable insights about your prospects just by interviewing 20-50 people.
- Having an ideal buyer persona means you are able to win both the hearts and minds of your customers.
- You are able to uncover the challenges faced by your prospects so that you can provide better solutions to them.
- You are able to produce effective viral loop content if you have a good understanding of buyer persona.
- A perfect buyer persona is able to attract the right people to your site so that you don’t waste your marketing budget.
- It helps your internal staff to understand your customers in a proper manner.
- Every customer thinks differently and acts differently. When you understand the needs of every individual customer, you are able to serve them well meaning the quality of the leads will be much better.
- Buyer persona enables you to create the right content for the right audience and at the right time.
- You are able to build goodwill with your customers. Moreover, it helps you to globalize your marketing efforts.
How to Create An Effective B2B Buyer Persona
Buyer personas can have a huge impact on your overall business strategy. Preparing buyer personas needs proper planning, research, time and effort.
Selling to B2B prospects is more difficult as compared to B2C customers because B2B prospects are more informed and think twice before they commit towards a product or service. Therefore, it is necessary to survey your ideal prospects and gather data about their needs and problems.
Once, you have the data at your fingertips, you can easily synchronize your products accordingly so that the B2B buyer needs and your product are in the same platform.
A basic B2B persona will look like the one provided below.
Here is an example of a much detailed buyer persona having important attributes:
In order to create buyer persona like the ones above or even better than these, you need to conduct a survey and ask some questions to your ideal customers. Here are some of the sample questions to include in your survey:
- Please mention your job title?
- What are your job goals?
- What is your age?
- What is your gender?
- What is your marital status?
- How many years of work experience do you have?
- How will you define yourself in one sentence?
- What are the problems that you are facing in your current job role?
- Which medium do you use to find a solution to the problem? Ex- search engines, social media or any other medium?
- List the top 3 words you use to find solutions to your problems in the search engines?
- What is the most difficult part of your job?
- Who do you report to?
- Are you a risk taker?
- Do you take your own decision?
- What is the maximum annual marketing budget of your company?
- What is your annual income?
- What type of content do you consume?
- What is the size of your company?
- Where is your company located?
- What do you need to make your day-to-day life easier?
- Do you choose products based on their USP or urgency?
Once you have the answers to the above questions, you will able to create detailed buyer persona that will enable you to take informed marketing decisions.
How to Use Your Buyer Persona?
Once you have prepared detailed buyer personas, it’s time to put them into use. Here are some of the right ways to effectively use your buyer personas:
- Optimize your existing content and rewrite it in the language that your prospects are currently using.
- Segment your email marketing campaign on the basis of the persona. For example, you can start sending informative articles to people who are at the start of the purchase funnel and send direct offers to people who are looking for instant solutions to their problems.
- Personalize your emails for each of your prospect and present the exact solution to their unique problems. Emails having the recipient’s name and their location receive better open rates.
- Pick your channel based on the data you already have. You can take the help of multi channel ecommerce solution and start selling everywhere your customers buy.
- Use buyer personas to partner with other companies and people.
- Reallocate your ad spend based on the insights derived from the buyer persona. For example, if your prospects spend more time on Facebook then you can consider running retargeting ads there.
- Consider writing an ebook with a specific persona in mind and offer them for free download.
- Write blog posts providing solutions/answers to the problem faced by the personas.
- Optimize the landing pages on your site based on your target persona. For example, you can present dynamic content before your prospects based on their likings as this will help them to make a better and faster decision.
The buyer-seller relationship is extremely important and buyer personas helps to strengthen this relationship. Follow the guidance provided in this article to create effective buyer personas in order to improve your sales and increase your ROI.