Security Tips To Keep Your Online Gaming Accounts Safe From Hackers
Online Gaming can be really a fun way for kids and professional gamers to connect with each other and enjoy various multi-players games, but you should also understand definitely security risks associated with online gaming and learn how to secure your account from hackers and malware. For example, in 2015 hackers managed to steal the personal details including usernames, IP address, passwords and e-mail addresses of 2.5 million gaming accounts from the popular gaming forums PSP ISO and Xbox360. Especially in subscription-based online games and social media games, the chances of getting affected are much higher. So, protecting your gaming account is very important to avoid such data and identity thefts. Here are some important tips to ensure the safety of your gaming account,
- Always use a strong and secure password for your gaming account and keep changing in periodically, at least every 3 months. Your password should be a combination of numbers, special characters, lower case and upper case letters etc. If possible, you can use a two-factor authentication where one password is the standard password which you enter online and other can be an OTP generated to your mobile phone. There are various techniques which hackers use to crack your password other than spyware and phishing attempts. One method is trying to log on to your account through Forgot password option and answering the security questions based on personal information which they might have stolen from you. Hence, it’s always important to ensure that your password or security questions do not relate to any of your personal information. Some gaming consoles like PS4 have an advanced biometric system with face-recognition technology where you can log in with your face to avoid your account being hacked through password breaches.
- Keep yourself aware of the various phishing scams and do not open any e-mail attachments if it comes from an unknown sender. Also, never click on any unknown links or suspicious files. Hackers may trick you into revealing your personal information by falsifying a website that you regularly use. They try to send phishing emails that may appear completely genuine and trick you into giving your account information. Ignore pop-up ads and avoid clicking on malicious links to unknown websites. Never share your username or passwords in any social media, text messages, IMs or phone calls.
- Keep your PC or laptop secure by installing the latest Anti-virus and Anti-Malware. Choose a Comprehensive Internet security suite which can safeguard your system from all possible cyber threats including viruses, worms, Trojans, malware, rootkits, ransomware, adware, spyware etc. Also, always update your antivirus with latest signatures and patches.
- If you are using a windows PC for online gaming, make sure you have installed the latest security updates for your Windows. For instance, recently WannaCry ransomware spread across more than 104 countries affecting more than 2 million systems which did not have the latest security update installed. Hence, you should always update your system with latest Security patches whether you are a Windows, Linux or Mac user. You should download and install the latest software updates for your tablets, mobile phones, computers to protect from any possible security threats and vulnerabilities in your devices. In order to ensure that you receive the latest updates when they are available, you can enable automatic updates on all your gadgets which you use for gaming.
- Be cautious while browsing across online gaming forums since this is one area where hackers try to trick you into revealing your account details by pretending as genuine users. You should remember that no gaming company will contact you and ask for your credentials. So, never reveal your username or password to anyone even if someone says that they represent the gaming company.
- When you are logging into any online website or gaming forum, make sure that website is HTTPS enabled so that all your messages will be encrypted. Always look for the padlock symbol in front of the URL to make sure that the website is secure. One good example of a popular online poker website is 888poker which is highly secure and trusted by thousands of professional poker players across the globe.
- Also, secure your home or office network by installing a Firewall which can inspect all the incoming traffic and block any malicious traffic from entering your network. You can also use an IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) to protect your network from hackers. Securing your internet connection is very important to stay away from hackers. If you are using public Wi-Fi, you can add an extra level of security by using VPN. Avoid using public Hotspots to log into your gaming account since they don’t have any authentication and hackers can easily eavesdrop and steal your passwords.
- If you have a suspicion that your account has been compromised in a data breach, you can use a free service called have I been pwned to confirm the same. If you come to know that your gaming company has suffered a data breach, you should contact them immediately and change your username and password.
Always use your common sense and understand the vulnerabilities and security risks involved in online gaming. You should also stay updated about the latest technology news like any data breaches or cyber-attacks which could affect you as well.
Your Business Needs These 13 Digital Security Solutions – Here’s How To Get The Most Out Of Each
How would you characterize your organization’s digital security posture? If you’re not sure how to answer this question, or perhaps would prefer not to answer it at all, you’re not alone. Countless decision-makers, from uber-competent CTOs and CISOs to CEOs and COOs who couldn’t code…
Louisiana And Oklahoma Introduce Digital Identification To Prevent Fake ID Use
Digital ID in Louisiana Utilizing digital IDs has been a commonly broached topic for a while now. Although most states are only either deliberating their helpfulness or in the utmost initial stages, Louisiana has moved forward. The primary introduction of this technology was done back…
ScanGuard Review – Here is What You Should Know
Doesn’t it sound good and satisfying to have a goop-performing antivirus that is reliable enough? Yes, it is. For that reason, you need to be extra careful when you are in search of a good antivirus. Put all the necessary factors into consideration so that…
The Emerging Need for Social Media Security
By the time you’ve finished reading this sentence, nearly 700 passwords have been stolen from social media accounts across the world. Social media security breaches have the potential to cause up to $6 trillion in cybercrime damages by 2021, up from $3 billion in costs…
Which New Lorex Security Camera Is Right for Your Home?
Keeping your family and your possessions safe requires a proactive approach, and one way to protect what you care about is with a security camera system. Lorex Technology is well known for their security camera solutions, and their two newest products will change the way…
- 3D Printing
- App Dev
- Artificial Intelligence
- Arts and Entertainment
- Big Data
- Blockchain Tech
- Business Technology
- Car Technology
- Cloud Computing
- Cloud Storage
- Computer and Technology
- Conference Calling
- Coupons and Deals
- Cyber Security
- Dark Left 1
- Data Center
- Data Recovery
- Digital Arena
- Digital Marketing
- Edu Tech
- Email Marketing
- Google Glass
- Guides and Tutorials
- Health and Fitness
- Home Improvement
- Home Security
- Internet and Businesses Online
- Internet Marketing
- IT Careers
- Mobile Apps
- Mobile Security
- New Tech
- Online Shopping
- Project Management
- Reference and Education
- Reputation Management
- Sales & Marketing
- Shopping and Product reviews
- Small Business
- Social Media
- Tech Trends
- Technical Support
- Technology in Education
- Tips & Tricks
- Tips And Tricks
- Video Conferencing
- Virtual Reality
- Wearable Technology
- Web Design
- Web Development
- Web Hosting
Give your SEO Campaign a Boost with Backlink Monitoring
Have you been trying to utilize backlinking for your SEO campaign? Would you like to assess the performance of your linking strategy? If your answer is yes, it is time to learn more about backlinks monitoring. In the traditional world of search engine optimization, website…
When To Start A Medical Malpractice Claim?
If you visit the doctor, you believe that the treatment you receive will improve your health. However, this is not always the case. Patients in Chicago can be injured by their physician or medical staff. What is Medical Malpractice? Medical malpractice is when a doctor,…
How to Immediately Improve Your Online Security
While the internet might seem paradisiacal, danger lurks in the obscurity of it. Apart from outsourcing your IT needs to specialists like IT support companies in London, there are immediate measures you can take to ensure your online world is as secure as the home…
Everything You Need To Know About Cybersecurity In 2019
With long workdays and jam-packed weekends, it’s a godsend that we can do most of our shopping, social interaction, and many other day-to-day tasks from the convenience of our computers and mobile devices. The internet has been making our lives so much easier for the…
4 Reasons Why You Should Upgrade Your Cybersecurity Right Now
Decades have passed since the phenomenon called the internet, cybersecurity is still very much a threat to businesses and individual users alike. Considering how much money cybersecurity companies invest to bolster their solutions, you would think that cybersecurity threats would be a thing of the…
Why Small Businesses Need A Web Application Firewall
Today, cyber security is one of the primary concerns of small businesses and large tech companies alike. The threat landscape is ever-evolving, with increasingly sophisticated hackers racing to thwart cyber security experts as they build stronger lines of defense. On top of that, the numbers…