There is now a whole sea of slots for players in online venues — usually 2-3 thousand each, but some have as many as four. And while new players who have just come to have fun want to choose beautiful pictures and interesting themes, some decide to prepare the ground in advance for better winnings. That’s when these two concepts — RTP and volatility — come into play. Today, let’s look at how they help players win more.
RTP in slots
The return you may expect from a casino is measured by return to player (RTP). The higher it is, the more rewarding will be any slot machine, roulette table, or other game. 96% RTP might result in a $96 return on a $100 investment. A high RTP is one that is greater than 96 to 97 percent.
To check the slot RTP, you need to go to the description of the slot. Most often prescribed there interval RTP. Most often, this refers to the distribution of payments in the standard mode and bonus rounds, or indicates that the developer gives the option to regulate the level of return to casino owners. For instance, in the Gangster Paradise slot from the big provider Novomatic, the payout percentage can be between 88% and 97.2%.
When choosing the value of the return, the operator can also be guided by legal restrictions. Regulators in different countries set a lower threshold for RTP for real money casinos.
On rare occasions, RTP levels can change over the course of a game. In 2019, NextGen released the Gorilla Go Wilder video slot, which unlocks new locations as the story progresses and the theoretical return rate rises from 92.03% to 97.04%. Blueprint’s Vikings Unleashed Megaways increases from 96.5% to 96.91% when a bonus feature is purchased.
Top 5 slot machines with the highest RTP
- Moody Fruits (Relax Gaming). A slot with an RTP of 99.908%. This is an unusual slot with four fields and winning combinations are formed from 12 reels.
- Ugga Bugga and Ocean Princess (Playtech). Slot machines with an RTP of 99.07%. Winning lines in them are separate slots with three reels. Ocean Princess has 5 slots, and in Ugga Bugga — 10!
- Mega Joker Jackpot (NetEnt). A slot with an RTP of 99%. This is a classic slot that mimics the run of the slot machine in a land-based casino. When the player wins, it opens access to the second screen, where larger cash prizes are played.
- Cosmic Quest: Mystery Planet (Rival). Machine with an RTP of 98.95%. Slot has five reels, containing additional multipliers and expanding wilds. It also features freespins.
RTP in table and card games
Success at cards and roulette doesn’t just depend on blind chance. Winning requires knowledge of the rules and strategies, as well as a certain skill set. For this reason, the payout in such games is usually slightly higher than in slot machines. For example, in roulette from NetEnt the indicator is at least 97.3%, and in blackjack the same manufacturer RTP does not fall below 99.5%. The most profitable for players are variations with additional rules. In French roulette, the La Partage rule increases the chances of winning, and in blackjack, the possibility of splitting hands.
Sometimes in cards or roulette, it’s not the theoretical percentage of payout to the player, but the casino’s edge, or House Edge. That is, how much the casino earns on average at a particular table. With House Edge information, you can easily calculate the RTP.
If you want to find a casino with a high RTP, check BestAuCasinosOnline.
Professional gamblers are always aware of a slot machine’s volatility. It describes how frequently a slot machine pays out and might be low, medium, or high. The likelihood of winning increases with volatility. But it will also be more difficult to do.
Low volatility slots are the preferred option for players with a smaller bankroll. High volatility slots are the pinnacle of what high rollers do. In slots with low volatility, it’s easier to anticipate a game, and taking a risk when money is tight is ill-advised. If volatility is low, losses will also be small. Just what players with a small bankroll need.
There are video slots where you can determine the degree of volatility yourself. One of them is Game of Thrones from Microgaming. At a certain stage of the game, the player can choose one of the four royal houses, which has a different number of free spins. The more free spins the player takes, the fewer bonuses they will get from combinations and multipliers.
Volatility levels can be set even more precisely in Wazdan slots. All of the operator’s slots are equipped with this feature.
High-volatility slots can be recognized by large winnings for the most valuable combos, while low-volatility slots have standard odds and small rewards in the prize rounds.
Five slots with high volatility
- Book of Dead (Play’n GO). A modern interpretation of the famous Book of Ra slot from Novomatic. Players will find a 5×3 field, the original bonus and a high level of volatility.
- Dead or Alive (NetEnt). An interesting slot with a themed bonus, high volatility and a good RTP of 96.82%.
- Bonanza (Big Time Gaming). A popular slot in which the number of winning combinations reaches 117,649 variations.
- Sakura Fortune (Quickspin). A charming slot in which players expect stacked wilds with the image of an oriental princess with a samurai sword.
- Voodoo (Endorphina) An atmospheric, mystical slot with a doubling round, rare for high volatility slots.
Ultimately, it all comes down to the level of risk you are willing to take. Of course, the greater the risk, the higher the potential prize, and the greater the chance of winning a huge jackpot if you choose to play a slot machine with high volatility. If you’re just playing for fun, don’t have a big bankroll, and aren’t willing to take any risks, slots with low volatility will seem like a better idea.