Metal fabrication is now seeing a change because of the challenges that appear. We are faced with an increase in demand when referring to reasonable costs and high quality. You want to deal with the goals of the customers so all the companies operating in the industry have to focus on profitability and productivity. Skilled workforce does currently create a clear productivity hindrance and we do have a strong competition that appears from the rival service providers. Welding automation is something that is very important. We are faced with high availability with mechanized automation products but not many understand exactly what this refers to.
Understanding Welding Automation
Just as the name implies, we are referring to advanced and modern machines that are capable of doing highly complex welding tasks. The tasks are normally difficult when looking at the manual approach and so much time is normally consumed. Companies that do invest in upscale welding equipment that has an automation feature do end up being more profitable. Capacity, quality and production are basically increased. New automated welding machines can meet high demands for the customers and develop special systems.
Benefits And Classification
We are faced with 2 categories when looking at welding automation:
- Fully automatic welding – a number of machines are used to complete welding tasks until the finish. Machine operators are normally needed, based on operation type.
- Semi-automatic welding – operators need to work with the machines, mainly load parts before weld controllers can perform the needed tasks. Operators will be necessary to remove the assembly after a welding task is complete.
When referring to the benefits that are associated with the advanced technology mentioned, we should highlight the following:
- Enhanced welding quality – weld repeatability and integrity factors are satisfied
- Output increase – this is highly noticeable and appears because human intervention needed is minimized
- Labor cost decrease – a lower reliance on the human welders will reduce the labor costs
- Scrap reduction – you get to save money on scrap costs with automated welding system
Welding Automation Drawbacks
Obviously, when new technology appears there are also some drawbacks that we have to take into account. Welding automation is no different. Those drawbacks we should always take into account include the following:
- High capital investment needs – costs that are associated with welding automation machine purchases will be higher than with the manual options.
- Lower flexibility – these are machines that are much less flexible. You cannot move freely from the initial part to the next.
- Time consumption – a complete implementation of the automated welding machine system can be quite time consuming for offering full-scale productions.
Welding Automation Equipment Types
The equipment that is necessary in welding automation can include:
- Automatic wire feeders
- Bug-o systems
Automatic welding equipment need appears when looking at the competition present in the industry. If you operate in metal fabrication and you want to be a leader, this is basically an investment that is necessary. Customer demand is growing and it is vital to develop solutions that are fully customized in order to leverage the advantages that are associated with automatic welding.