MP4 & MP3 – The Difference:
The difference in the name of these two media file formats is a single digit. Therefore, you might believe that MP4 is just an upgraded version of the MP3 audio format. Although this explanation sounds quite logical at the first reading it is not correct. The situation is more complex: MP3 is an abbreviation for MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3, while MP4 stands for MPEG-4 Part-14. The main difference here is the type of data these two media formats can store. MP3 only can store audio data, as it is a plain audio encoding format. On the other hand, MP4 can store audio, video, subtitles and also images which makes it a way more flexible container format. By looking at the technical point of view, the MP3 format uses lossy compression algorithms in order to achieve a reduced file size. MP4, on the other hand supports both lossy and lossless compression.
A common problem when dealing with MP3 and MP4 media files is the following: Imagine you have a MP4 video but you are in fact only interested in the audio track of this video. In the following we show you two different tools which help you to extract the soundtrack from any MP4 video in a few simple steps. While the first tool presented here is a desktop application for Windows the second solution works online and therefore can be accessed from any device, no matter if it is a tablet or a smartphone.
Solution 1: Free Video To MP3 Converter
Free Video to MP3 Converter is a paid application for Microsoft Windows but it can also be used for free in a trial version. The drawback here is that this trial version has a limit for the length of your audio track. However, for short audio tracks it will work fine.
After downloading and installing the software on your system you can convert your MP4 files to MP3 following these steps:
- Click on the “Add Files…” button.
- Select the desired file on the file system of your device.
- Next click the “Open” button.
- Choose “Convert to MP3” from the drop down menu.
- Select your desired MP3 data rate. (320kb/s,240kb/s or 128kb/s).
- Finally click on “Convert” and wait for the result. The speed of the conversion process will depend on the performance of your computer.
- After the conversion has finished click on the folder icon next to the file to go directly to the location of your MP3 file.
Solution 2: Using An Online Converter To Extract The Audio From Your MP4
Instead of downloading and installing third-party software to extract audio stream from an MP4 file, you can simply visit a mp4 to mp3 converter website which will do the job online for you.
The steps to export the audio track from any MP4 video file and store it as MP3 are quite straight-forward using this approach. After accessing the website with your default browser you can get started like follows:
- Drag your MP4 file to the ‘upload’ box in the center of the page or simply click on the uploadable file to browse your file system.
- Wait for the video to be uploaded. The upload time depends on the size of your video.
- Click “Convert” and wait for the conversion to be completed.
- Now simply click the “Download” button to download the converted MP3 file to your device.
Both ways you can extract the audio track from a video. With the desktop software solution you’ll have to download the application first, install it on your PC and then you will be able to convert files. Furthermore, when using the free trial version you will encounter some limitations. On the other hand, with the online converter you can simply extract the audio right away without any preparation. Within few seconds you will have your MP3 ready for download. Unless the video you submit contains any delicate information we recommend the second approach since the conversion speed was quite convincing during our review and there were no hidden costs.
The online converter presented in this article is operated by https://converter.page/ and is part of a larger collection of online file conversion applications. You can find converters for all kinds of requirements of audio, video and image conversion on this website which work similar to the one presented above.