How to Choose the Best Social Media Platform for Your Business
It’s important for all businesses to have social media accounts across different platforms in order to expand their reach. There are billions of social media users every day, making this a great tool to promote your business and products/services to a larger audience. However, depending on your type of business, certain social media platforms will work better for you, in terms of reaching the right audience.
Let’s start with the biggest social media platform in the world, which has over one billion active users every day, with the majority of those users belonging to Generation X (those born between 1965 and 1980) and the Millennials (those born between 1981 and 1996). Facebook is generally a good platform for all types of businesses, especially for advertising and brand awareness. It’s also the third most visited website in the world, with more than 75% of Americans stating that they have purchased something off of Facebook.
Benefits of Businesses Using Facebook
- The content you post can easily gain views and increase brand awareness.
- With a good strategy in place, you can turn your Facebook fans and followers into paying and repeat customers.
- Facebook provides page insights to let you know how well your business page is doing.
- You’re able to create ads that are targeted towards an audience that is most likely to purchase from you, helping to grow your business.
- You can post multiple types of content to engage with your audience (e.g., text posts, pictures, links, and videos).
Moving on to the second most used social media platform, Instagram sees about 500 million users every day. This platform is used primarily by Millennials, but keep in mind that as of 2021, Millennials are between the ages of 25 and 40 years old. With that being said, Instagram is a platform that allows for pictures and short videos to be posted as content, making it the best platform for businesses that provide products and services that produce immediate visual results (e.g., hair stylists, etc.). Even more Instagram users have discovered a new product on this platform, than those who have bought a product on Facebook.
Benefits of Businesses Using Instagram
- Instagram allows you to use hashtags to reach more people than just your followers.
- You can include a section on your profile that takes visitors directly to your online shop.
- You’re able to better engage with your audience by sharing pictures of your customers using your products/enjoying your service.
- Your page can have its own brand aesthetic (bright bold colors, or a toned-down vintage theme).
LinkedIn doubles as both a social network and a job search site. Around 675 million people use LinkedIn every month, being used by the most number of different generations (Millennials, Generation X, and Baby Boomers). Like Facebook, every business should have a LinkedIn page. LinkedIn is great for all different types of businesses, allowing for recruitment marketing, business-to-business (B2B) relationships, and business development.
Benefits of Businesses Using LinkedIn
- Like other traditional social media platforms, you’re able to share text posts, pictures, videos, and links.
- You can market your business towards potential employees by sharing what it’s like to work for your company in different forms of content.
- There’s an analytics page to help you improve your marketing strategy.
- LinkedIn marketing tools allow you to reach a more targeted audience for recruiting employees.
Other popular social media sites include Twitter (used mainly by Millennials and is best for public relations and customer service), YouTube (mostly used by Millennials, great for how-to videos), and Pinterest (mainly used by Generation X, best for inspirational and visual advertising). Some businesses may be able to benefit from all forms of social media, but don’t try to force it if you can clearly see that your efforts aren’t working.