Today, a computer is more complex than ever. However, using it has also never been easier. The best example of this can be seen when we look at managing partitions in a disk. In the simplest of words, a disk is where the data is stored in a device. Due to the complicated nature of tasks executed by a computer in the present times, multiple disks or multiple partitions in one disk are fairly common.
Creating a disk partition involves dividing the complete storage space on a disk into multiple parts so that they can then be used in a logical manner by users. This is often done when a disk needs to be formatted. While multiple disks help with data management, creating them is no longer a nightmare, thanks to some amazing software available to accomplish the task.
In this post, we shall look at some common features that you must look for in partition manager software. Later, we shall include a step-by-step procedure to resize a partition in Windows using a popular software – Partition Wizard. In the end, we shall discuss some common reasons why you might need to use such software. Let’s get started.
- Create/Delete/Format Partition – This is the most basic of the features and is a necessary one. The software must allow you to create, delete, and even format partitions on your disk. While the uses of creation and deletion are self-evident, sometimes a partition in a disk may be corrupted because of some reason and it may be necessary to format it.
- Move/Resize Partition – Apart from creating and deleting partitions, many times, you might want to move a partition or even resize it for meeting your requirements. The software must allow you to do so. Often, the partition containing the Operating System may be running low on disk space. At such a time, this feature of moving and resizing the partition comes in very handy.
- Convert FAT to NTFS – Don’t get bogged down with the technical names; we will simplify it for you. FAT and NTFS are nothing but file systems. The former is a simple version and the latter is replete with features (most important of which is data security). Since most systems are migrating from FAT to NTFS, the partitions also need to be converted and hence, this is one feature that you must look for in a partition manager software.
How To Resize A Partition Using Partition Wizard?
Let us take a step-by-step look at the procedure to resize a partition using MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition.
Step 1 – Download the MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition. Once the download is complete, install it on your device and launch the software.
Step 2 – Once you launch the wizard, you will see a screen that will look like the screenshot below. All the partitions on your disk will be visible. On the left-hand side of the screen, you will see the option Change Partition → Move/resize Partition. You need to first select the partition that you want to resize and then click on the above option.
Step 3 – As soon as you click on the Move/Resize Partition button, the screen below will pop up. You now have two options to resize the partition – you can either shrink or extend the partition size by using the mouse or you can manually type the size of the partition that you want.
Step 4 – Once you have done the above step as per your requirements, you need to click on OK and then Apply. Voila, you are done. The resizing or moving of the partition is done.
Now that you know how to resize or move a partition, let us take a moment to understand what are some of the reasons why you might want to use such software.
- Using a new hard disk – Creating, moving, or resizing a partition might be a necessary evil when you are installing a new hard disk. This is what will make using the hard disk storage space-efficient.
- Managing multiple users – More often than not, partitions are created so that the same disk can be used by multiple users and multiple disks or devices are not needed, thereby reducing cost.
No wonder partition manager software is getting so popular these days. The number of tasks that you can accomplish using the software is a lot and the use case is also crucial. However, choosing the right software is no easy task and one needs to be careful because data security is equally important and needs to be considered while making the choice.