More and more people are ditching the office in favour of working remotely. After all, all you need is your laptop, a strong internet connection, and a self-starter attitude.

And if you’re working remotely, why not travel the world at the same time? It’s a win-win, right?

Read on for our checklist on what to stay on top of when you’re working remotely from another country. 

Check your Visa

The most important thing you need to check is that you have the right to live and work in the country you’re planning on visiting, something normally granted by your Visa.

There are many different types of visas, and which one you have will depend on many factors. Your home country, destination, type of work, and even your background and age can factor into which visa you get. 

When you first look into working abroad, you may come across ‘work visas’. These guarantee you the right to work in the host country (as the name suggests!) 

However, to be granted a work visa you normally have to be sponsored by an existing company in the host country. In other words, you have to have a job lined up. This often isn’t feasible for those of us who are self-employed.

Okay, what’s your options?  

The ‘Working Holiday’ visa

Many countries now offer Working Holiday Visas. These visas allow you to work in the host country for a set amount of time (often 24 months) as a way to supplement your travel costs. 

With a Working Holiday visa, you don’t need sponsorship to work, meaning you can live and work remotely. Or pick up a local job while you’re there.

The rise of Digital Nomad Visas

While not everywhere is using the term ‘Digital Nomad’, over 40 countries are now offering Visas geared towards remote freelancers. 

From Europe to the United Arab Emirates, new Visas have been brought in to encourage tourism. Bali’s new Visa will let you work there for five years tax free. If you’re not sure where you’re heading next, it’s definitely worth checking out where they are offering these Visas.

The long and short of it is, know your visa’s limitations inside-out. 

Make sure you understand the tax situation

How much tax you need to pay, and who you pay it to, depends on lots of things. Your business, income, origin country and host country (and yes, your Visa!) will all factor in.

So, what should you look out for?

Your host country

Most countries will require you to pay tax while you reside there. Every country in the world has different tax rules so it’s important to do your research.

Your home country

The majority of countries around the world don’t require their citizens to continue paying tax at home while they’re abroad, but it’s worth double-checking. Plus, a notable exception to this is the United States! If you’re from the U.S, look into the tax laws for your State. 

Your employer

There are relevant tax forms that have to be filled out by anyone paying an employee or contractor. Yep, even if you’re a freelancer! Make sure you let whoever is paying you know where you are in the world. 

Final points to consider

Health insurance

Some visas, especially Working Holiday visas, require you to have health insurance to work legally. Aside from the legal side of things, the last thing you want when you’re travelling is to get poorly and not be able to receive the help you need. Having a health plan is an absolute must.

Proof of funds

Some visas will ask for proof that you have the money to live on while you’re seeking jobs. Make sure you have the funds to live comfortably for a while if work is slow

Where will you stay when you work remotely?

If you’re planning to move abroad as a digital nomad but don’t know how long you are staying, co-living spaces are a great solution. These are essentially house share situations set up specifically for digital nomads.

Co-living spaces like Wooda offer flexible contracts, meaning you can stay as long as you like. They have co-working spaces built in so you can comfortably work remotely without being cooped up in a hotel room.