A Guide to Planning for a Successful Content Marketing Strategy
Success is all we want to achieve in the field of business. There is always a secret recipe that makes the business boom. Comprehensive planning of your strategy is key to making the business work. Traditional marketing still has an impact on the audience.
However, people more enjoy browsing on the internet, since it is more time saving and convenient. They find all their answers on the internet. Different Marketing teams find this new way of reaching people.
They are using videos, articles, and downloadable files that may help to reach the target audience. Content marketing strategy is a creative way of delivering the content to the right audience.
It also refers to a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and bringing valuable, relevant and consistent content to attract and retain a specified audience. The main goal of this strategy is to drive profitable customer action. Content marketing strategy is the new way of persuading products in the modern days.
Many businesses are already successfully using this strategy. If you have a business and do not want to be last on track, the big question is, “How to start?”
This post will help you to plan your content marketing strategy. There will be a checklist and steps on how you will develop a successful strategy as you walk through this article.
Let’s start to dig in to know well what is Content Marketing versus Content strategy.
is the campaign itself, which comes after the strategy. It is anything strategy that makes use of quality on-page content to engage audiences and possible customers, usually resulting in links from main websites, increased numbers of leads, and enhance SEO.
It can scale from a whitepaper to a huge campaign. Here are some of the most common varieties: it can be infographics, e-books, and interesting content.
is the idea and research put into the set up of an effective content marketing campaign. Your content strategy must be pushed and guided with your content marketing. What you will learn from the approach will continue to enhance and improve your strategy.
We need both to be synchronized. Both represent a role for a successful marketing strategy.
Without planning your strategy, your site will not be helpful to your readers. Your content strategy will guide you and will help you stay on track. Meanwhile, content marketing will elevate your action plan into leads and boost your rankings.
Where to begin?
Here is a question I get asked all the time: “How to do that?”
Here are the steps for easy reference for creating a successful content marketing strategy:
Step 1: Setting your Mission and Goal
Setting your Mission will define your company’s business, the objectives and its approach to reach those objectives. Create your Mission statement that will make it simple for your content to focus. Your Mission statement gives your audience an insight into your content.
Your Content Marketing Mission statement should involve:
- Your audience
- Your content that you will use to reach them
- What benefit they will be getting
Here is one example of the Content Marketing Mission statement.
The CIO defines their target audience. They highlight the benefit that they will get. And it gives examples of what kind of content they deliver to the target audience.
You can try this formula:
We provide [target audience] with [type of content] to help them [business goals].
Once you set up your Content Mission statement, the next to imagine is what your business will get from it. That is where your business goals come in.
Here are the usual goals:
- Increasing revenue as a result of your content marketing strategy
- Getting more sales and producing more high-quality leads, which will help you meet your revenue goals.
- Getting more traffic to your site. The more traffic there is, the greater the possibilities of meeting goals
- By gaining the perception of your business, you will gain influence and authority.
- Reduced marketing costs as your content becomes more effective.
- Gaining Social media engagement, which can help with both traffic and dominance.
Both mission and goals are intertwined. Failing one aspect will cause a domino effect. Once you know your goals, it is time to move to the next step.
Step 2: Build your Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
Building your Content Marketing KPIs is a great way to check if you will succeed in your goals. The best way to achieve goals is to make them specific and measurable.
Your KPIs involve what you plan to achieve in terms of revenue, sales, traffic, SEO, traffic, and different aspects of digital marketing like email marketing and social media metrics.
Typically, your KPIs have specific numbers attached to them. For example, you might want to achieve:
- Hit a definite revenue target within a particular time.
- Get a certain number of new emails from prospective clients.
- See an increase in site traffic and engagement with your onsite content.
- Get a certain number of mentions, shares, and comments for your pillar content.
- A decrease in business expenses.
You will be keeping an eye on your KPI’s for validation of your progress and room for improvements.
Step 3: Your Audience
For a successful content marketing strategy, you need to be clear about who your target audience is. Knowing your target audience will lead you to create the appropriate content. There are actions you can do to recognize more about your audience.
Collect Demographic Data
Web analytics, social media analytics, and email subscriber analytics will give you the data you need on your audience’s information, Age, Gender, Education, Interest. These tools will be filling in your Demographic Data.
You can also use Google Analytics to find this information.
Social Media sites offer similar data to Google Analytics.
For example, you want to get demographic information on your Facebook fans via Facebook Page Insights:
Get Customer’s Feedback
You can also try to collect feedback from your current customers. Feedback from your customers will give you insights into:
- How they feel about the content currently producing
- What their most urgent needs are
- How you can address their problems with your content
Create your Audience Information Avatar
After you collected all of the demographic data you need and customer feedback, you can now proceed with their Information Avatar. Your Information avatar will help you to describe your audience. From there, you can write the right content. You will be getting engagement from your audience. Also, you will know how to help and respond to them.
Step 4: Assess your Current Status
Many businesses compete to create unique and remarkable content for their business. Contents can be in any form of media materials.
How will you check if your content is helping to achieve your business goal?
To validate if your content is successful, you can perform a content audit. Log all your site or blog content. You can use different tools to check your logs. You can use SEMrush to audit your content.
You will get a complete analysis of your content, including:
- Content titles and descriptions
- Content length
- Social shares
Export the data to create a simple spreadsheet that contains all the URLs.>>>>>>>
SEMRush reports will give you an analysis of your content. The report analysis includes your content titles and descriptions, the length, backlinks associated with your content, and social shares.
Using other SEMRush tools, such as the site audit and position tracking tools, you will get information on what else needs improvement.
Content strategist Laura Creekmore shares a streamlined inventory and auditing process, including this template to help you focus on the most useful data and observations.
You can use this content marketing strategy template to observe your content.
Identifying Content lapses
After you collected the reports extracted from SEMRush, the next step is to work on the lapses that you can utilize. These might include your Keywords related to your niche, questions of the audience that you are unable to answer, or contents that are starting to rank but could be improved.
You can carry out a content gap analysis in SEMRush.
Step 5: Identifying the best Content Channel
After you work on the content gaps, you can now distinguish which platform where your content gains most of the visits. It is best to focus on what is working and expand rather than to try something.
Step 6: Decide on what Content-Type is best for your website.
Most successful content marketing strategies rely on having a primary core of the content. You might also consider what content type will suit your business.
There are a lot of content types which will appeal to your audience. Do not stick with just one content type. Every audience has the preferred kind of media channel.
Use the content formats listed below that will help you get started:
- Blog Posts are about 400-1,000 words is the most content format most people think to use.
- Long-form articles often take the form of creative nonfiction or narrative journalism. These compose 1000 words to 20,000 per content.
- Original research is based on the experience that the writer shares with his audience. It can be time-consuming and costly.
- Infographics are graphic visual representations of information, data, or knowledge intended to present information quickly and clearly. Infographics are the most shared content online. 80% of marketers use infographics in their business.
- Images are attached to the articles and upload to different channels. There are 15,000 GIFs uploaded every internet minute in Messenger.
- Case Studies are one of the most effective content marketing formats for winning new business. It allows your audience to be a feature in your articles. It gives trust and validity to your content.
- White papers/Reports can give you a chance to engage with your audience. According to Forbes, 79% of B2B buyers share it with their colleagues. That adds up to an opportunity for you to win more business. White papers aim to help the target audience. Even without the hard sell, they are helpful.
- EBooks is to simplify and enhance the overall learning experience. It makes the learning process more interactive and engaging.
- Presentations are a useful content format to promote your business. It is pretty easy to put them online with a SlideShare account. Tag it with around three keywords to make it easy to find. Presentations generate traffic to the website.
- Webinars are online seminars that are excellent in business content marketing. Usually, attendees between 2% and 5% purchase it. Webinars consist of a presentation plus a short Q&A session. They help you show off your expertise. You can also demonstrate products and services so that attendees want to use them.
- Quizzes and Polls are the most engaging content formats. Both boost engagement by making participants curious about the result. Fun quizzes make an addition to any content strategy.
- A podcast is a recording of an audio discussion on a specific topic, like business or travel, that can listen in their convenience.
- A checklist is one of the easy content formats to create. They are insanely popular, attracting hundreds of thousands of shares in some cases. It includes worksheets, tip sheets, and cheat sheets. By adding your keyword, your content is easy to pull out.
- Email Newsletters are a type of email that informs your audience of the latest news, tips, or updates about your product or company.
- Video is a proven attention-getter online. Data from Google shows that video is a trusted source for 40% of millennials. Videos are also one of the content formats that contribute to business revenue.
Just over the past year, Youtube gets billions of views every day. Imagine how videos have an impact on the audience.
Video content marketing strategy uses videos to promote and market your product or service, increase engagement on your digital and social channels, educate your consumers and customers, and reach your target audience.
Here are the types of videos you can create to market your business.
- Vlogs (video blogs)
- Video interviews
- Tutorial videos
- Videos of presentations
- Product demos and reviews
- Video testimonials
- Recordings of live streams
- Video ads
The quick question is video marketing worth it?
In 2020, Wyzowl found video marketing statistics of 92% of marketers which say that video is a vital part of their marketing strategy. It has grown from 78% in 2015, showing that the importance of video is only increasing.
There is no need to wonder about the benefits of video marketing for business. It is worth it, and you do not have to take a video marketer’s word for it, either. The reports and statistics say it all.
Content Marketing Strategy Example
A successful business uses multiple content marketing strategies to lure an audience.
Here are the most known companies which have succeeded in using multiple content marketing strategies.
- HubSpot uses other content marketing strategies such as reports, e-books, lead magnets, videos, etc. Their content mission is to help businesses grow better. They hit the hottest topics of the internet which makes them known.
- McDonald’s “Question Time” is a successful step towards winning dissatisfied customers. McDonald’s Canada decided to answer any question their customers might have about the brand. This content helps the company to gain trust and gain a reputation.
- Ikea is a big company that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture. They use an augmented reality app to help customers to see how a piece of furniture will fit into their homes before they make the buying decision. It is a very bright use of images and apps as their content marketing strategy.
Step 7: Identify your resources
Now that you identified the possible content that you are planning to create, you must have everything you needed to deliver your content marketing strategy. The next in line is who composes your team?
Assign roles to ensure duties are performed depending on every individual’s expertise. It is also to ensure goals are not compromised.
Once you have assigned the designated roles and tasks, it is time to figure out what tools your team will be using.
You might consider looking for a specialist in video creation, podcasting, or graphic design. Images and Videos are a type of media that the audience cannot ignore.
You will also need equipment for your Marketing content management like WordPress, Magento (e-commerce), hosting sites for your team to get started.
One more thing to consider before you get started on researching and creating pieces of content is your content calendar. Your content marketing strategy framework is your attack on when you will publish your content, who will produce it, and what is your content.
Step 8: Create your Content Calendar
Your content calendar is also part of your content strategy. By following your calendar, you will be able to know precisely when you want to publish your content on each of the platforms you want to use.
It will also give you planning and a deadline to help your team to achieve your goal. >>>>>>>
Asana is one of the task management tools that have the option to check productivity and will allow you to schedule different parts of the content creation process.
Step 9: Create your content
As we walk through the process, there is a lot of preparation to work on your content marketing strategy checklist before jumping into creating a piece of content. We are now in the step of creating your content.
Research Your Content
Your research conducted before will give you an idea of what type of blog post to create. Based on your demographic data and the interest of your target audience.
When you are ready to write your article, you need to figure out what information you have and what else can add purpose to your audience. Searching in Google Search for other top content to add value to your content topic to improve it is known as the skyscraper technique. You can also look under your original research. Considering other options will give you a lot of resources.
Compose your content
To start writing your content, you have to consider how your content reflects your branding. Your Personal Brand is when you start promoting yourself as a professional asset to others. You highlight your expertise in a given field, maintain your public reputation, and show your followers that you are the best solution to a specific problem: not something you built, not special tools you own, but you, your mind, and your personality. In other words, your brand is a digital snapshot of who you are and what you do.
Step 10: Distribute and Market
The next part of your content marketing strategy is how you will distribute and market your chosen blog post. The contribution of your content must handle correctly for better results.
- Set a schedule for the sharing and distribution of your content.
- Send any notification to the involved audience mentioned in your content to spread the word wider.
- Use email marketing to reach out to the audience and to distribute your content.
You can use great tools for promoting your content. LinkedIn can help you to self-publish your content and share it with your audience.
LinkedIn is a marketing tool for B2B companies and thought leaders to build professional relationships and reach a wider audience. Over 130,000 articles are published on the platform each week.
Business-to-business (B2B) companies focus on selling products and services to other companies.
Is content marketing strategy important in B2B?
Content marketing is key to B2B Businesses as they can improve the likelihood of new customers finding out about your business, its services, and the value you can bring them.
What is a B2b content marketing strategy?
B2B content marketing is the art of using content to expand your business’s audience, strengthen
and develop brand affinity, and ultimately drive leads and sales by appealing to other traders.
Here is a brief checklist for building a b2b content marketing strategy:
1. Identifying your goals:
You should aim high but also be as specific as possible. Set SMART goals:
2. Identify your Audience:
You can go back to your research on extracting data. The key to doing your research is to ensure you understand your customer base.
3. Your content audit:
As mentioned in our guidelines, doing your content audit will help you to fix lapses and room for improvement.
4. Keyword search:
Search engines will determine your ranking by the keywords and key phrases that you use within your content.
5. Create your content:
create your content that will satisfy your audience’s needs and, at the same time, hitting your main goal.
6. Promote your content:
aside from using promoting tools for your content, you may also consider the four most successful content promotion opportunities to distribute and market your content.
Social Media is an invaluable tool for helping you reach a wider audience. It is a great way to share your blogs, link back to landing pages, and introduce new services and products.
Email Marketing and promotions are 86% of the consumers who want to receive from companies.
Paid promotions allow you to promote your content to a specific audience, attract qualified traffic and leads, and grow your customer base.
7. Choose your content-type:
Use multiple content-type to market your content. It gives the audience a feeling of comfort.
8. Analyze and optimize:
Your content success will be measured by your set KPIs if attained, maintained, or leveled up.
Step 11: Measuring the result
Lastly, to measure the success of your content marketing strategy, and if you are hitting your targets, you need to get back to your KPIs.
Use tools for tracking content marketing success. Google Alerts and Mention will let you see if your content is being mentioned and shared, helping you hit those KPIs for awareness and engagement.
Also, SEMRush will help you to assess KPIs for the search rank of your content. And you will be able to track email sign ups through the analytics in your email marketing software.
Once you identify your lapses and take action against it, the next step to take is observe if you are hitting your goals for your success. You can tell that Epic content management once you perfectly resolve and improve your strategy.
By monitoring your progress, you will be able to pull your content marketing strategy at regular periods, so it is always up to date.
Content marketing strategy is essential to reach new leads and to turn those leads into customers. However, it is only as effective as the plan you have in place. You will just be wasting your time if you throw random content online and hope it works. The above guidelines and steps should help you develop the best practice content marketing strategy. It is also productive once you find the value of marketing development.
We are ready to go. You can now create a successful marketing strategy.
Do you want to be on the top-ranked articles? Check our website convertedclick.co.uk for more SEO tips and content that will surely help you.