8 Questions to Ask Before Choosing an Online Penetration Testing Provider
Choosing the right online penetration testing provider can be tricky. In this blog post, we will provide you with eight questions to ask yourself before choosing an online penetration testing provider. You may narrow down your options and discover the ideal provider for your needs by asking these questions.
1. What is online penetration testing?
Before you can choose an online penetration testing provider, you need to understand what online penetration testing is. Online penetration testing is a type of security test that is conducted on websites and web-based applications.
2. What are the benefits of online penetration testing?
The major advantage of web penetration testing is that it aids in discovering and repairing security flaws before they are discovered by attackers.
Other benefits include:
- improved security posture
- reduced risk of a data breach
- detection of vulnerabilities early on
- compliance with industry regulations
- improved awareness and understanding of security risks
3. Who should consider online penetration testing?
All businesses housing sensitive customer data should consider online penetration testing, but not all businesses have the same level of risk. Here are three types of businesses that should consider online penetration testing:
- Businesses that process credit card data
- Businesses with a public-facing website or web application
- Businesses with employees who work remotely
4. What should I look for in an online penetration testing provider?
When you are considering an online penetration testing provider, there are several factors you should take into account.
- Experience – A good provider should have a lot of expertise in performing online penetration tests.
- Scope – The provider should offer a wide range of services, including vulnerability scanning, source code review, and social engineering.
- Methodology – The provider should use a proven methodology for conducting online penetration tests.
- Reporting – The provider should offer clear and concise reports that detail the findings of the test.
- Customer service – When you need help, the business should provide outstanding customer service and immediate assistance.
- Pricing – The provider should offer competitive pricing.
5. What are the risks of not conducting online penetration testing?
If you choose not to conduct online penetration testing, you are taking a huge risk. Attackers are constantly looking for weaknesses in websites and web-based applications, so you need to be proactive in protecting your business. You can find vulnerabilities that attackers may exploit before they’re discovered by performing online penetration testing. This will help improve your security posture and reduce the risk of a data breach.
6. What will an online penetration test cost?
The cost of online penetration testing varies depending on the provider. However, it is typically a fraction of the price of a data breach. Prices usually range between $100-$5000 depending on the size and scope of the test.
7. Are there any risks associated with online penetration testing?
There are always risks associated with any type of penetration testing, but the risks are minimal when conducted by a qualified provider.
The main concern for anyone looking to outsource their security tests is privacy. Penetration testing is bound to reveal sensitive information about the network, systems and applications.
Ask about their security and confidentiality procedures. They should have a solid reputation in the industry and be able to provide assurances regarding the safety and confidentiality of your data.
Another risk is of false positives being reported by the automated tools used. This is when a test identifies a vulnerability that does not actually exist. While this is rare, it can happen if the provider is not experienced or uses an outdated testing methodology.
Make sure you ask about the provider’s experience and methodology to avoid this issue.
Overall, the risks associated with online penetration testing are low when conducted by a qualified provider. By asking the right questions, you can minimize these risks and ensure that your business is protected.
8. What questions should I ask an online penetration testing provider?
- What is your experience in online penetration testing?
- What are your past experiences in the same industry as our company?
- What is your methodology for conducting online penetration tests?
- What kind of reports do you provide?
- Do you provide testing for compliance with industry regulations?
- What is your customer service like?
- What are your prices?
The bottom line is that online penetration testing is an effective technique for finding security flaws in your network and, more importantly, determining how readily attackers can get into it. It can help improve your security posture and reduce the risk of a data breach. It is best to have such tests performed by a professional or a reputed provider. When selecting an online penetration testing firm, keep the things mentioned above in mind. Don’t hesitate to reach out to a provider and have your doubts cleared.
Ankit Pahuja is the Marketing Lead & Evangelist at Astra Security. Ever since his adulthood (literally, he was 20 years old), he began finding vulnerabilities in websites & network infrastructures. Starting his professional career as a software engineer at one of the unicorns enables him in bringing “engineering in marketing” to reality. Working actively in the cybersecurity space for more than 2 years makes him the perfect T-shaped marketing professional. Ankit is an avid speaker in the security space and has delivered various talks in top companies, early-age startups, and online events.