So you have decided to start an online business? Or maybe reach out to the masses with your blog? Congratulations! You have just taken the first step towards a life-altering experience! At this early stage of your chosen path, choosing the correct web hosting company is the most important decision that you need to make. Without a reliable host, you may not always be able to reach your customers or your audience when they need you, as a result of which your credibility can take a huge hit. In this article, I will be listing 5 key things to look for while you make your decision.
So without further ado, following are the 5 things you need to look for:
- Support: Technical knowledge or the lack of it thereof should never be a barrier to entry for the 21st century tech entrepreneur. Even if you are a qualified server tech, there are a million other things you would need to focus on other than server maintenance such as tweaking settings or installing packages. It is imperative that you go with a provider whose support team is there to help you out and is reachable 24/7/365 via phone, chat or even the traditional ticketing system!
- Disk Space: You need to speak with your lead developer or your technical co-founder to get a handle on the amount of disk space that is required for the smooth functioning of your website. This is usually not that big of a deal for blogs, but not having adequate disk space can sabotage data driven websites.
- Bandwidth: Bandwidth is the amount of data that your host will let you visitors upload and download from your site every month. This is not highly critical while you are getting started, but will be extremely relevant once you go live. If you exceed your bandwidth usage, your host may charge you extra or may even prevent additional visitors from accessing your site! Sites such as VoucherBin offering vouchers for a range of retailers like 123-reg UK does not put any bandwidth limits; hence the number of visitors to your site will only be limited by the appeal of your product or the size of your audience! It is recommended that you check out 123-Reg.co.uk vouchers online before signing up to maximize on your savings.
- Server Uptime Record: If you have signed on the dotted line and made all your payments on time, then your site should be running without a hitch right? In today’s challenging business environment and the modern consumer’s ever-shrinking attention span, your site needs to be up 24/7. To allow for that to happen it needs to run on a powerful server with stable network connections. As per current industry standards, having a network provider with an uptime of 99.5% or greater is highly recommended.
- Number of allowed domains and sub-domains: Online entrepreneurs are a restless lot. Once they have a website up and running, it’s only a matter of time before they have a second one up or sometimes even a third! It could be because of a myriad of reasons; you may have chanced upon another idea that you want to try out, or you may want to pivot from one line of business to another. Needless to say, if the hosting provider is not accommodating enough in these scenarios, then it can make life incredibly difficult. 123-reg UK’s hosting packages makes your life easier by allowing 1, 2 or 3 domains and 10, 50 or 100 sub-domains based upon your subscription level!
The starting phases of a new online venture are an exciting time but can be an extremely nerve-wracking one as well. A reliable web hosting can go a long way in making your path and quickly move over to the next step of your journey!